Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Bad to the, uh...bone

Bones are overrated...well that's how I feel right now at least. My femur bones and I have had a rough relationship the past year or so. Twice I've had bilateral stress reactions/fractures in the shaft of both femurs. How did this happen and who does this happen to? Well me and my stupid overtraining and weak ass brittle bones.

A few years ago I was diagnosed with osteopenia, which is like the beginning stages of osteoporosis and very common in CF..especillay us old ass patients. You've seen Sally Field talk about her once a month Boniva..well I was on a bone pill for a few years and still developed fractures. After some research it turns out that these pills actually CAUSE stress fractures in the femurs. BRILLIANT! Not making this shit up, NYTimes.com did a story about it. My really awesome CF doc and I decided to take a holiday from the pill to see if I could maintain my bone density while off of it and still be able to run well. I added more vitamin D into my diet and do as much as I can nutritionally to make sure I'm eating all the good bone food. Who knew celery was good for your bones? I hate it but eat it and juice it all the time now..

Well.....I think my bones are mad at me again. Just last week I started to get that really deep ache in my groins, aka my loins were ablaze. When this deep ache first happened  a few years we thought it was hip flexor stuff but after it getting much worse and me physically not being able to run, the MRI's showed stress fractures. It got to the point where I could not run, not that I just didn't feel like it and it hurt..no, I could not move my legs to run.

Now I do a hell of a lot of yoga, like 4-5 times and week and I know for certain my hips are o-p-e-n. Don't get excited....

The aches came last week a couple hours after a 7 mile run. I could barely walk from my car to inside the Ren Cen..my legs were just weak. Climbing my stairs to my apartment is tiring and riding my bike is not going well. I did a 36 mile ride around Old Mission on Saturday and just couldn't dig. I cruised at 17 mph most of the time but when I needed to dig up a hill or into the wind my legs just couldn't do it. I never do this but I had to stop half way up 2 hills. My breathing was so loud it sounded like I was being chased by a pack of dingos after I took their baby! This am I tried to catch a ride but that only lasted 30 minutes..freaking rain and lightning cut it short but really pedaling was a chore, averaging 15 mph felt like work. Frustrating? Nooooooooo...

For now I'll just self diagnose and cut my running way back, cycle on low gears and yoga it out. Hopefully this resolved quickly and the pain doesn't develop into true stress fractures again..that would be super duper uber laaaaame! I have raced coming up in August and September and I better be able to run them.


No comments: