Monday, June 25, 2012

The perfect cereal?


You know I love my cereal and have tried just about every one out there. The "healthy" cereal section is where I tend to shop because these usually have more fiber, more protein and no high fructose corn syrup or other creepy non important ingredients. 

I've been eyeing Uncle Sam cereal for a while now and finally took the plunge this weekend. I think I have found an almost perfect food for CF'ers, high protein, high calorie, and in my case high fiber diet. This is also great for anyone else who can tolerate wheat too, we all need some more health in our lives!

Here's my breakdown:
  • It is high in calories (which is good for the CF crowd). 3/4 Cup = 190 calories..who is actually eating a 3/4 cup serving? 
  • It has 10 grams of fiber! (Digestive help, yes!! Anything I can do to avoid golytely..which I'll be drinking later today)
  • 7 Grams of Protein per 3/4 cup. 
  • Less than 1 gram of sugar! Won't spike your blood sugar.
  • Annnnd only 4 ingredients: Whole wheat kernels, whole flaxseed, salt, barley malt.
  • Flaxseed's provide Omega 3 Fatty Acids.

So after a 7 mile run this am I popped open a Fage 2% Greek Yogurt, topped that with sliced banana, raspberries, a little honey, almonds and then topped that with some Uncle Sam...delicious!

I'm definitely going to be adding Uncle Sam's cereal into my rotation..and definitely on July 4th.
America.

No comments: