Sunday, June 24, 2012

Wait, wait...no way..!

This world is something crazy that makes me stop sometimes and say "how the hell did that happen?!" Or, "are you kidding?"Sometimes I'll be thinking about my friend Glo who passed away a couple years ago and then on the radio pops Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd or a song by the The Who, her favorites. Or if you scroll way back on this blog to my story about waking up singing the yodel song from The Sound of Music and then 45 min later I'm on a run and coincidentally a coffee shop was blasting that very song as I ran by. Stuff like this happens all the time and today was one of the coolest experiences yet.

So I joined a community garden a couple months ago that has something like 20 families and a lot of beautiful produce that will feed me all summer and fall. My first day at the garden I met a very cool guy and gal who were super easy to mess with and have a good time while tickling the roots of the veggie plants. A few weeks after that I ran into them at Trader Joe's. Last week I dropped into Green Dot Stables in Detroit for some veggie sliders and sure enough this cool couple was sitting in the booth behind us. Yesterday I thought saw them amount the 700 runners at the River Days Festival 5K but wasn't too sure. In just a few weeks I have run into these guys a lot..and it's always fun.

Today I woke up debating the 7am and the 4pm garden shifts but dragged my ass to the 7am slot. As I strolled up to the garden the cool couple was there. I immediately asked them if they did the 5K yesterday and sure enough, it was them that I saw. Cool.

We all got started in the garden and 'cool girl' asked me what I do. I gave her the usual run down, run Rock CF, race direct the Rock CF Half marathon and speak all over about CF. She stopped and said "You run the Rock CF race? You started Rock CF??!!" "I gotta tell him (leaving out names). We are passionate about the cause and really wanted to do the race this year." We chatted a little more about it and then went back to pulling weeds. I was just super excited that she know about the Rivers race!

As we were wrapping up in the garden 'cool guy' came up and said something like, "I hear you run Rock CF?...............................I have CF." What? Stop. Are you kidding? Shocked I respond with "Shut up!" We have some back and forths, "No way!" "Seriously." "Shut up." "No, really." "Wow, this is why we have been running into each other all over dude!" He told me that he and his bro both have CF and then all the details. For sake of privacy I won't go into details about his health, but I have to say that I honestly have never seen a CF person present with his symptoms. Just when I thought I had seen it all....! He is a tall guy and pretty solid so definitely not your typical squirt and his voice has just a slight rasp to it that of course I noticed. His overall CF health seems great which is super cool. We exchanged numbers and me and the "cools" will definitely be getting together soon to talk...and eat of course.

Things do happen for a reason.


1 comment:

LS said...

That is awesome! I have those experiences once in awhile as well, and it's so cool when that happens. Enjoy the garden with your new friends :)