Sunday, December 2, 2012

Kale Power Celebration



*Go ahead and click that picture above to see the Top 10 Benefits of Eating Kale*

That leafy green stuff is good..and it is damn good for you so you should eat it! This week I've been on quite a kick and above is one of the most delicious ways I have ever had it.

Attention CF circle, kale could be really great for us: Kale is loaded with Vitamin A, K (2 vitamins we already take more of), has more calcium per calorie than milk (osteopenia/osteoperosis?), high in fiber (you know...), great anti-inflammatory ..the list goes on, just click the pic.

Here is what's in that picture above: Kale salad (see recipe below) with a diced baked sweet potato, tasty red lentils in a fab sauce (see recipe), a KBC pumpkin ale, my fruit bowl..and a leg lamp nightlight. Oh..and of course my Nook that is in the process of cleaning my Altera nebs.

Kale Salad- Adapted from the December Whole Living Magazine recipe.
 Now called Em's Super Kale and Sweet Potato Salad
Makes 2 Servings
To be honest..when I make up my own stuff I don't measure. So what listed below is just me guessing.

Bake 2 small or 1 large sweet potato(es) in oven (375 for 35 minutes or so..ish, maybe)
When done, let cool and dice

For Kale Salad
Couple cups of diced Kale
3-4 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp Crushed Garlic
 Pinch Red pepper flakes
 Salt to taste 
Pepper to taste
 1/2 of a Lemon juiced
Fresh grated Parmesan Cheese

Mix Olive oil,  garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and lemon in bowl. Pour over kale. Add parmesan cheese. Let sit for at least 30 minutes before eat.

Red Lentils- Recipe on the back of the Trader Joe's Red Lentil Bag
1 Cup red split lentils
2-1/4 broth (I use veggie)
1/4 white vermouth (I used some Charles Shaw Shiraz)
1 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
1 tsp. black pepper
Everyday Seasoning Salt to taste (Sea salt in my world)
1 tbsp. olive oil

Heat oil in pan; add lentils, toss to coat; about 1 minute. Add broth, wine and seasoning. Cover with a lid and simmer over low heat until tender and the liquids almost absorbed, about 12 minutes. 

More Kale Ideas
- Kale Chips
- Blend into your favorite smoothie with a frozen banana, almond butter, or frozen berries, yogurt, kefir etc..
- Soup it up!


That's all I got for now...eat well and be happy!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"High in fiber (you know...)" ... LMAO. How gracefully put.