Sunday, October 16, 2011

Jump On It

Sir-Mix-A-Lot's "Jump On It" was in my head when I woke up today. I got outta the joint yesterday and I'm ready to rock. My only complaint with this song is that he totally leaves Detroit off the train. Tacoma? Tampa? Kansas City? Columbus? Little Rock? These cities but no Detroit? This song would have much more street cred if he made a stop in Deetroit.

6 days on 6C and I'm feeling so much better. I went in feeling the worst I have ever felt before and actually a little scared. I'll admit it. My mind was racing for a few days there because I thought maybe I was culturing some new and scary. I wasn't eating and lost almost 2 pounds a day in there. Fevers on and off until Thursday and a lot of lying down was not my typical stay.

I was dealing with 3 different docs who at one time all told me something different which was not helping. Of course they wanted me on IV Tobra but I pushed really hard against it because A) My vestibular damage was most likely caused by that. B) I wanted them to make sure that they looked at my newest cultures to see what IV's would actually work. C) My vestibular damage was most likely caused by that.

On day 2 I was able to get in and get my vestibular/balance testing done. If you are bored and looking for fun I suggest you get in for that test. Cold & hot water squirting into each ear, a spinning chair in the dark, eye goggles and cameras and so much more! A verrrry fun 2 hours.
The tests did show one sided vestibular damage. One sided is ok because in most cases it can be corrected with symptoms not lasting forever. PTL.

Breaking news came in from my research nurse after my testing: "Go ahead and take the Blue Pill after dinner tonight." Everyone in my room threw their arms up and cheered! I knew this would be key in my come back. I downed that baby as proud as a mama who just had a baby! Wednesday we started a new IV med and luckily I do not have to be on Tobra because my cultures showed it would not work...some relief there!

It was sad to leave my crew up on 6C yesterday but we made some good memories. Toe squats, pull ups on my door and sooo much more that needs to stay up there.

I'm happy to report that my lungs are already on the fast track to awesome. The combo of the new IV med and the blue pill is just what this doctor ordered. Now there's only one thing missing from my day.....exercise! I'll fired that up "slowly" this week don't you worry!

(Somer sent me these labels from one of my fave brews with a note "use your imagination.." Yesterday I had 2 with breakfast..)



No comments: