Sunday, October 9, 2011

Here's the deal..

It's going to be 80 degrees today, it's October. Now we all know that's not right, right?

Other things that are not right? Nolan Ryan looking real old, the Duchess of Alba, MarĂ­a del Rosario Cayetana Alfonsa Victoria Eugenia Francisca Fitz-James Stuart y de Silva getting married and me going into U of M/club med tomorrow to start IV antibiotics. Why am I going back in after just having them in August? My lung function is in the toilet. When I say toilet I mean seriously, I just about shat when I saw what my PFT's were on Friday. But why? Read below..

Last week I came down with what I thought was a cold/sinus infection type deal. I started on Cipro (yeah the same stuff for Anthrax) on Tuesday and thought I was on the mend on Thursday. On Friday I headed to NYC for a little vacay and speaking engagement but started to feel pretty winded and was coughing more on Sunday. As any noble CF'er would do I shrugged it off thinking the Cipro will take care of this for sure. I don't have time to be "sick!" After seeing a record 5 shows in 4 days, and hanging in the city with my brother, sis n law, uncles and friends I knew that things were not good. My lungs and sides hurt, I was winded and coughing anytime I would go out. What I would usually walk, I took the train or bus.

Tuesday night I spoke at the Research Update for the NYC chapters of the CFF and felt great for the 2 hours I was there. Because I am delivering such great news about VX-770/blue pill, my mind really gets into it and I forget that I actually do feel like shit.

In the past two months I have seen my pulmonary function at the highest I remember seeing it and then on Friday at the lowest I have seen it. I've felt the best ever, running 5 miles, biking 30 a day and yoga 4-5 days a week. This week my lungs and back hurt, I'm coughing up some crazy junk and the thought of running 1 mile is making me tired. Also I dropped about 5 pounds and eating is not something I want to do..this is a HUGE change because I normally want to eat everything and anything (healthy ;) all day long. I have seen the best and worst of my health in 1 month and have seen it slowly spiral..know what's keeping me together? My family and friends. Staying positive, laughing and not making this my main focus.

Of course I could be super pissed about this because I know that I've been off of the little blue pill for a month and my body doesn't really like that. Also I'm sure I wouldn't be writing this post if I were still on my blue buddy. So I did spend a few frustrating minutes this weekend swearing..actually a lot but that doesn't really matter...I was just reciting every word that my uncles taught me.

Everything happens for a reason and focusing only on positive things is what I need. My main focus is getting healthy and ready to start training for a spring half marathon and maybe even a fall half iron man (minus the swimming..I'm a Pisces but I hate swimming.) as soon as I am released from that place.

Tonight I will watch the Tigers take down Texas and the tomorrow I will watch the Lions handle da Bears on Monday Night Football!

Em



4 comments:

kshumard said...

Em, You are the tip of my spear. I am thinking all the positive thoughts I can in your direction.
Did I understand, are you off the "experimental" drug?
Best wishes, you know we are all counting on you. Kevin Shumard

Rebecca said...

why did you have to stop VX-770?

Rebecca said...

Ok, I just caught up with you older posts and see why you stopped taking VX-770. Was it ever determined if it was causing your side-effects? Are you planning to start it again?

Somer Love said...

You know! I love this BLOG!!!!