Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Blue Lightning

(It ain't easy wearing two ribbons..just wait until next year.)


So I have finally recovered from NACFC 2011. It always takes about 2 full days of sleep to do this..late nights and early mornings! I spent all of last week and this weekend in Anahiem, CA speaking, going to meetings, presentations, hanging with old friends and meeting some incredible people.

To make it easy I'm just going to list a few of the highlights and some pics to sum this trip up;

* Speaking for the Clinical Trials A-Z Short Course was so fun and it taught me a lot..like how to run a roundtable discussion!

* Presenting my view on how to Keep the In Patient and Out Patient CF teams in the loop..and some of my frustrations with Cross Contamination.

Being able to hang with my friend Kat from the Blooming Rose Foundation: Quack..Quack..Quack..

* Meeting my CF doc for a 6:30 am workout.

$17 cab ride to the nearest In N Out for a Neopolitan shake and a veggie.


Hanging with Dr. Pat Sosnay..you can't quite tell but this is me on his shoulders during Journey:

Dinner and fun with old friends Steve and Carol..or is it Carol and Steve?

* Meeting the Blue Lightning crew..including the chemists who discovered it! I really think we can get the FDA to change the name...

* Meeting 1 of the stars of The Power of Two, Isa Stenzel Byrnes and also Tiffany Christensen.

This:

Hanging with these two friends a lot:

Finally, being able to see my buddies and heroes who work tirelessly for the CFF including, Bob Beall, Rich Mattingly, Preston Campbell, Marybeth, Elise, Mary Dwight, Jason, Cynthia, Deann and the entire crew that put on this amazing conference! Thank you for doing what you do!

There was this buzz of excitement the entire week that is super hard to explain. I know that it is stemming from Kalydeco/Blue Lightning and the future of treating the basic defect in CF. This excitement definitely carried out onto the dance floor Saturday night because I must say there was some major improvement in the dancing this year.

This is the John Hopkins crew after the dance..I was supposed to be the topper but row two & three couldn't hold on! It was a valiant effort but we will get it next year...next year, my friends.



This is always one of the best weeks of my life and I cannot wait until next year!

Em



3 comments:

jessica said...

i am an idiot. I read your blog all the time and for some reason keep thinking that you live an hour away from me. I think its because i just assume you live by grosse ile since that's where the race is every year. I saw you walking into Yoga in Grosse Pointe yesterday and have seen you at trader joes before. I always stare at you like "i know this girl and dont' know why." well, i dont know you - i just read your blog. I'm ridiculous and its taken me this long to put two and two together. ugh. next time i see you around town, i'll introduce myself.

Emily Schaller said...

Ha yes! Those are two places I frequent often..a little too much on the TJ's but I cannot help it!

Rebecca said...

I am still spinning from the Conference! I already had super high expectations, that were totally exceeded! It was great getting to meet you and hang out...I can't wait for next year!