Saturday, November 19, 2011

I can't put my arms down..




A Christmas Story is my favorite movie of all time. Period. My TV is tuned into TBS for the 24 hour marathon, I have the special 25 year anniversary DVD, I've been to the house in Cleveland where they filmed it and I know every line in the script. My dad and I even tried to develop it into a musical on our way cross country after my ride to Ellen. Also, musical theatre and Broadway is my favorite thing. So when I heard my favorite were combining forces I had a mini stroke.

Just like when books become movies, going to see an adaptation from a movie to stage is always a little well, scary. Expectations are hard to meet and it could be being done just to be done. I went in to this show with some pretty low expectations thinking the music could be a little hokey, the cast would be a little thin and the whole thing would be cute and fun but not incredible.

Let me just say this, GO SEE THIS SHOW!

Jean Shepherd who narrates the movie as the adult Ralphie Parker was set down stage right at a table. He would narrate from there which was cool but he also became key characters in the show too. The leg lamp delivery guy, the mailman etc. Such a great way to incorporate and use him. Down stage left was a dude who did all of the sound effects for the show. He was the voice of the Bumpus hounds, the footsteps up and down the basement and also the sound for the nuts & bolts when the Old Man is changing the tire. This guy also sang and danced in some scenes too.

The music was very appropriate and the songs were great! My favorite was the You'll Shoot Your Eye Out number sung by Ms Shields dressed as the wicked Witch. Great song but when Scut and Grover came on as the monkeys and did a dance number I was dying.

This show is HILARIOUS and hits all of the marks in the movie. Ralphie to the Rescue is huge production that happens when the kids are writing their themes in class. It's a showstopper that is revisited a few times during the night.

Let's talk about Ralphie...this kid was great! He didn't have the blonde hair but he could sing! Randy was hilarious and played this part just right. The "I can't put my arms down" part made me wet myself a little. Old Man's character was great! Less all around grumpy than in the film and John Bolton added a nice humorous and sweet side to the character. Mother was great and just what I wanted to see, quirky, frazzled but sweet.

The flagpole seen happened, the Pink Nightmare was there, Oh Fuuuuuuuuuudge, the Major Award..they were all in it and done perfectly. My favorite was Up On Santa's Lap, when Ralphie tells Santa that he wants the damn Red Ryder. Santa is drunk, the elves are naughty and this combination made it hard for me to keep it together.

Of course the night ends at the Chinese Restaurant with the elusive "Deck The Halls" number but it also ends with a very sweet song that ties in the family aspect to the show and this is the heart. Any good show has a heart and this one's is big.

Us Detroiters are so lucky that this show made a stop at the Fisher theatre. It only hit 5 cities on the tour. You have until November 27 to see if here then it travels to Tampa and wraps up in Chicago.

Here is Lowell as the Pink Nightmare

P.S. I even loved this show so much that I had a dream that I got a Red Ryder BB Gun..







No comments: