Wednesday, August 22, 2012

This shit is getting real!

After a week in Orlando, Miami. Ft. Lauderdale and Key West, it is back to reality and training! Sure sitting beach side, riding a cruiser bike, soaking up the sun and having a few "pops" was amazing, but I am less than 2 months from my 2/3 of a 1/2 Iron Man!

This morning shit got real! Like the Real Deal.

My day called for a 4 hour ride with a 15-20 minute run...totally doable. Right? I started the morning out with a coffee, some coconut water, a banana and a little toast with PB& honey...what'd you call me? Not much but just enough. Oh and also a trip to the bathroom (recommended by my training mentor).

I met Becky (aka Armstrong) on my corner at 6am and set for downtown again. We busted a two lapper on Belle Isle then headed back because she needed to be home by 7:15. Luckily Jessica and Fletch were up for an hour ride at 7:15 so I met up with them and headed back downtown to Belle Isle for another loop. Riding downtown is my favorite! It's just way different at 6am than it is at 7:30 am..damn you Motor City, can we get some bike lanes?

We rode for just over an hour and then I set out for another 1 hour 30 minutes on my own back around my neighborhood. Today was not my best day of riding ever though. From the get-go my legs ached  and I just didn't feel awesome, but I rode all 4 hours and got 60 miles in. When I got back home I "hopped" off the bike, ran up, changed into my running gear and set out for my 15-20 minute run.

Run
To go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at awalk and in such a manner that for an instant in each stepall or both feet are off the ground.

Above is the definition of Run. When I say I Ran (past tense) 20 minutes what I really mean is I hobbled for 20 minutes. Running after cycling is always funny, but I've never done it after riding 60 miles. I started by walking for 2 minutes and was set to run until I saw the car at the light next to me. Instead of looking like a drunk fool I continued to walk until that car passed me. Once he passed I took off like a bat outta hell...ummm or a drunk fool. It took a few blocks for my legs to figure out what to do but once I got it going it was actually ok. It did get hot pretty quickly so I only ran for 15 and then walked 3 to cool down. I was super thirsty on the run so perhaps I should have had more to drink near the end of my ride. But I did pee before and after the run so I wasn't dehydrated...?

Today's workout was fueled with GU, a Powerbar, Gatorade with added salt, and Salt Stick caps. I'm still trying to figure out how to pop my salt caps every 30 and also get my damn enzymes in when I'm going for solid food...maybe I'll have to invent a pill popper....

My head feels a little whacky and I'm sleepy, but right now I feel damn good! Training continues!

Em