Tuesday, October 23, 2012

PPD Beach2Battleship Race Recap


PPD Beach to Battleship Half Iron Distance Triathlon Recap
6:18.48...blew my goal out of the water!

     WOW! Training really paid off big time...I'm still so amped up right now about the race and will try and do a decent race recap here. So much happened during the race and especially in the days leading up to the event. A huge pep rally at PPD to meet my amazing fellow Heroes and Team PPD, speaking at the official athlete's dinner, visiting the local cancer centers and being on the news 4 or so times on 4 different channels. It was craZZY!

Here is the race recap..I broke it into sections to make it easier to read.


Pre Race/T1
I actually slept really well Friday night before the race which was awesome. At 4:55am I got a text from my amazing swimming partner Scott asking what our bib number was. He wanted locate my bike so he knew where he was heading after his swim for T1. He is in charge of T1 for the race anyway so he was there at 3am already. At 5:05 I popped up and hit the lobby for a surprisingly piping hot fresh cup of coffee. A whole wheat bagel with almond butter and a banana was washed down with some chocolate coconut water and my morning routine of the vest and Pulmozyme. When my routine finished I grabbed all my stuff and headed to meet Willie (an amazing PPD Hero) and his wife for a ride to the start. I had a cool 3 chilly hours until Scott would come out of the water and send me on my way. Luckily I ran into an old friend who I went to high school with who was swimming in the full relay, rather quickly I may add. I also got to chat with my buddy Keith who came up from Florida to race the 1/2 and then hung with all the PPD peeps as we awaited our fish to arrive. A quick ride on the foam roller that I brought and then some stretching and I was ready to get this thing started! 27minutes and 53 seconds after the start of the Relay teams swim, my buddy Scott came darting into T1 screaming my name. I screamed back and in a snap he had that timing strap around my left ankle, I pulled my bike off the rack and hauled ass to the Exit. My Cat Eye odometer sensor on my wheel was knocking as I was running my bike but a great bike mechanic volunteer fixed it in seconds and I was on my way!! Talk about adrenaline! Geeze!!
T1 Transition time: 3.35

No comments: