Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Thank You's and the funniest story of the week

It hit me at 6am the day after the race as I hobbled into the bathroom..I did it! I didn't just do it though, I raced it. The soreness in the legs and the bruised up toes showed me that I poured out all I had in me during the race. Also I realized that I pushed myself for 5 hours and 45 minutes straight with no rest, eating just enough to fuel my body. When I think about this it becomes real...and I become so excited for the next one!

I have so many people to thank for getting me through training, and the race.

All of my fam for all the encouragement during training and for keeping up with my training. Baby K for being the best cheerleader ever. My training friends who rode and ran with me..Armstrong, Jess, John, Sarah and all the GP runners. Steph and Reebs for feeding me and for helping me fulfill my fro-yo needs.

Sage Rountree for offering me nutrition advise early on in my 13 week program. Her advice changed my whole way of thinking when it comes to nutrition before, during and after training/racing. I swear it was the best advice I've gotten in a long long time.

EPIC Powersports! My buddy Matt from Epic hooked me up with all my Hammer nutrition for training and the race. The Latte Perpetuem was the bomb but I especially love the chocolate Recoverite! I swear that stuff is why I was ready to drink beer and freestyle walk after I finished the race! All of my Michigan friends who ride make sure you check these guys out if you're up in the Traverse City area.

PPD- Ned, Lee, Elizabeth, David, Wendy, Maryssa, Jessica, Kara and everyone who works there. You guys are the absolute nicest and genuine people and I am so proud to be a part of your team!

Here is a highlight from the whole experience:

After the race we hung for a while and then when back to the hotel to shower and rest for a few. We headed back downtown for dinner around 6pm. When we got out of the car a group of parents who had kids running came up and stopped me. They saw my speech at the athlete's dinner and wanted to chat and ask me how I did in the race. Super cool to meet them! This happened a few more times around town during the night.

The BEST was this though...We were standing near the finish where some people were crossing the line and others were making the turn for their final 13.1 (a sad place to watch btw..yikes). 2 drunk suburban ladies in their 50's walk past and I mess with them a little bit and ask if they're going to run next year. One of them stops and turns and says, "I need to ask you something...." This always makes me nervous.. "Did I see you on TV yesterday?" We laugh and say yes. Her girlfriend  says "Shut the F*** up! You can't see.." The less drunk one says "I've been staring at the ground for 2 weeks. I had detached retina surgery..but I remember seeing you."  The other lady continued on and the drunk(er) one again says "shut the f*** up!" When she said this it wasn't in excitement, no, she was staring at me weirdly and in disbelief. Again the back and forth about "You can't see.." "Yes I can, it is you!"....when they finally left we were dying! Totally made the whole trip!

Check the Rock CF site for the news clips...www.LetsRockCF.org


2 comments:

Lee Kennedy said...

Emily you so Rock! Thanks for coming to Wilmington and being a hero! You are an inspiration. Keep on running and riding! - Lee

Unknown said...

Emily you are awesome!! Thank you for being our star! And tell your parents it was great meeting them. Keep rocking!