Saturday, September 15, 2012

Aaaaand We are Back on Track!

I'm going to break this post into two parts. 1) My return to Blue Lightning 2) Training Fun

Blue Lightning
It came! My first Blue Lightning prescription came on Thursday and I tossed back my first dose after dinner that night. The best thing about getting the script? The price tag that is attached to this monthly bottle...all I'm saying is that it is a 5 digit number that is pretty close to the number of hours in a day... ;) Oh thank heaven that I have the insurance that I do..My copay is $0!

The cough that I had going on early in the week seems to be clearing up quickly and my sinuses are back on track. No more giant slugs flying out of these nostrils. Woohoo!

Training
34 Days until B2B 

Well well well...this what a nice week of training. Yesterday was supposed to be another 4 hour ride + 20 minute run. The plan was to meet Armstrong at 6am to get pedaling. I awoke to some drizzle but over texts we decided we will ride "unless it starts to downpour, then we are out!" Cycling over to her corner (yep, she works the corner) the rain got harder. She was there and we both just laughed and said screw this, let's ride later.  So I rode home twisted out my soaking wet clothes and carried my bike upstairs and threw it on my trainer. While watching an episode of Downton Abbey and then Ellen I got about 90 minutes in. That trainer is so damn annoying, I don't know how people can stay on it for hours. Drenched in sweat I threw in the towel knowing that I'd get more riding in later.

At about 4:15 and a much sunnier setting I hopped on my bike (Minty) and started riding. I got about 30 minutes in before Armstrong joined in. After storms there is always wind...right? Well there was yesterday, and also a lot of cars and really terrible drivers. On one stretch I was definitely almost a goner. A car flew by us just brushing my left arm. Definitely earned a beer for that one. We got about 2 hours of nice riding in and called it a night. On my way home I almost had a lady drive directly into me head on. She was even looking right at me, speeding and not moving over. Amazing shit. That one earned me 2 pieces of pizza ;) So yeah I didn't get 4 hours in but 3.5 hours..and I didn't do the run because I was running in the am. Fine with me.

To get ready for this am's run I had a couple huge pieces of veggie pizza and a beer with Reebs, while of course, watching 2 episodes of Downton Abbey. My signature "nightcap" of cereal topped the night off.

So today's run...I had to get 90 minutes in which in my life that's about 9 miles. Armstrong agreed to run about 4 miles with me at 7 so that was cool. After some coffee, sips of G2, a SaltStick cap and 1/2 a protein Powerbar I hit the road at 6:45am and ran the roughly 1.32 miles to her house. A nice head start on the 9 miles. We hammered out the first loop together while talking about food and the crazy people that I encounter downtown. It was a really fun way to knock a few miles out!

I circled home for a quick shot of G2 with extra salt and half of a GU...I know, call the po po, you should take GU with water..but I survived. Also at my 5.75 mile pit stop I changed shoes. I've been running in Newton's for about a month now and have really been liking the results. Natural and forward running..and no pain is always good! This week though I noticed a little tweak in my right foot by my toe, right where the Newton's makes you land. It could just be from the Harvest Stompede uphills but I want to make sure no stress fracture or anything is popping up.

Armstrong let me borrow a new pair of borrowed Saucony Hurricane 14's to try. So I swapped into those for the 2nd part of my niner. These shoes fit well but aren't as cushioned as they say..BUT they helped my foot track really well and actually felt like they could be made for my weird feet. I felt like I was running more forward even in these (TY Newtons!) The second half of the run went really well and I felt very strong. Not tired or fatigued at all. So I may alternate shoes during the week see how I'm feeling for my long weekend runs. I love an option!

Post run nutrition today? Hahaha... OH wait, Armstrong told me yesterday that she was cursing me because with CF I can eat so much. Yep that is definitely one of the best parts of having CF :) Of course keeping as natural and whole foody as possible, but a lot of eating does happen in my world..especially when training for 2/3 of a 1/2 Iron Man.

So here's what I did this am post run:

Shake/Smoothie/Frozen Situation
1 Frozen banana
1 Little carton of chocolate soy milk
1 Tbsp of coconut oil
1 Tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup blueberries

Food
TJ's whole wheat waffle topped with:
1 heaping scoop of almond butter with flax seeds
Dash of cinnamon
Drizzled Michigan honey

Overall a super great week of training! My goal is to keep training smart, not over doing anything, eating well, doing yoga and a lot of stretching. We are nearing the home stretch...not sure when the official home stretch day but we are getting close!!

Ok I'm hungry again...

Em

No comments: