Sunday, September 2, 2012

70 Miles..2 Days

Well that was a great weekend of training! But now I feel like shit! It could be that during my whole trip to NYC and N.C. I was up at 3:45am, 4:45 or 6 for 5 of the 6 days, and hit up 5 different planes. Last night I started to feel like I was getting a cold. I ran this am and felt great but early this afternoon my head started pounding, my sinuses hurt, my ears feel crazy and my nose is feeling stuffy. Today I juiced, drank an s ton of water, and ate a lot of fruits & veggies to see if I can ward this bugger off. I cannot be bothered with being sick right now, I gotta train!...So I am not going to get sick. Never mind feeling hot, sweaty and feverish as I sit here...

After a 4 hour delay in Charlotte I got into town from my NYC/N.C. trip Saturday at 1am. The previous 7am ride meeting time was pushed back to 8am so I could at least get a decent nights sleep. I met "Armstrong" on the corner at 8am and we were on our way downtown for a kick ass ride! We hit a couple laps around Belle Isle and then headed over to the Dequinder Cut. From there we just did a big old tour; Comerica Park, WSU, Cass Ave, Third, Temple (the "girls" were not out), through downtown and then back east. Armstrong rode with me for about 2 hours and 20 min and then I headed out on my own.

Because of how I felt after my last 4 hour ride + run (drunk and lightheaded for the rest of the day) I made it my goal for the day was to drink 1 bottle of water per hour. I carried 1 bottle of water in my back pocket and then used the drinking fountains in the village to fill up on my ways through. Very convenient, and even better without the mounds of fish flies staring me down. I had one bottle of the lovely orange cream Hammer Perpetuem, and drank 1/4 bottle per hour. One chocolate Stinger Waffle 2.5 hours in and then 1 Vanilla GU at 3.5 hours in had me feeling damn good. Also I popped those Salt Sticks every 30-45 and my 4 enzymes every 1.5 hours or so. Because the Perpetuem has protein and I'm drinking it continuously I need to make sure I take my enzymes so the stuff actually digests and absorbs.

I got 60 miles in at about 3 hours and 55 minutes...not my speediest ride. My lower back started really acting up about 2 hours in and then that radiated into my thighs. Once I was off the bike and in my running shorts and Newton's, my back and legs felt much better and stopped aching. I hammered out a couple miles and jumped upstairs for a banana and a Chocolate Recoverite. Usually I'm hungry after a workout but lately with the ramped up training I am not really seeking out the food to fulfill my tapeworm. The Recoverite makes it easy to get a carb to protein recovery that I need until I can hunt down a giant veggie sandwhich from the hippie Sprout House a couple blocks away.

Today was a run day! I love fewer things that long Sunday runs. My friend and running partner Jessica met me at 9am and we were on our way. We did two loops so the 2nd loop we could stop and get her Tater, her 2 year old pit to run with us. She strapped that leash around her waist and we set out for a longer 2nd loop. The goal was to get around 7+ miles in. MapMyRun showed that I logged about 8 miles...nice!

This Saturday I have a very hilly 7 mile race through the wineries up north in Suttons Bay.  A couple runs, a few rides, some yoga and some Rock CF work, and then I'll head up north  to the cabin for a relaxing weekend!

48 days until race time!


No comments: