Sunday, September 30, 2012

Under Pressure...

Well it's a good thing I ran that Spring Lake Oktoberfest 1/2 Marathon with my brother yesterday!

On Friday I was in touch with my physical therapist who I haven't seen in over a year (it's a good thing!), except at the Rock CF Rivers 1/2 . I told him what's been going on with my left hip, can't sleep on that side, aches pretty bad on the outside by the joint, and the range of motion isn't amazing. Thankfully he is going to get me in on next week to start cranking away. My CF Doc thinks it could be an inflamed bursa in my hip...sounds about right but we will see how it reacts to my super PT's treatment.

I guess I should tell my PT that now my knee is going to need some love too. This is where the 1/2 from yesterday comes in. My brother Adam and I ran this race a couple years ago together and we decided to give it another go yesterday. The timing worked well with my training and he has been training his ass off all summer. We went in yesterday to run and not race which sounded quite good to me...cannot get hurt..

My brother has been hit with some very recent IT band issues, so when I heard this a few weeks ago I immediately prescribed him the foam roller. After laughing through the painful tears that the roller of death inflicts, he realized that it actually does help. So before we left his house yesterday a.m. we both took a ride on the roller..

After mingling with other runners, some who have done Rock CF, we had a great slow start and first 8 miles or so. This course has a lot of up and downs which helped to flare up his IT just over half way through. He powered through very well only stretching when I had to make a pp stop and a couple other times. He decided that his ITB wasn't going to stop him just as my left knee started to give out. Real cool. By give out I mean, lock up and alter my stride while inflicting sharp pain. This same knee thing has happened during my last two half marathons. Once at mile 5 while in Canada during the Freep. When this happened I thought, "I am not getting stuck in another country!" So I  just kept hobbling and finished in 2:03. This also happened at mile 11 during the Martian half as well when I was on par to break 2 hours...I finished in 2:04...laaaame.

My 10.8 mile run last week showed no signs of this knee situation coming into play. I was confident going in yesterday that only my hip would be a little sore after the race, not my knee. To say I was shocked, and pissed is an understatement! Luckily my super PT Greg has treated this, an inflamed bursa sack, for me before. Now I just need to tell him that he will be treating that and my hip...in 1 week before the biggest race of my life!!

Cue- Queen's Under Pressure

He is a magical man and I have no doubt in my mind that he will tune me up. I'll hit my chiro once a week until the race and utilize that massage coupon I have too...oh and course yoga! My training has paid off and I definitely feel ready to tackle 69.1 so a little bump in the road will not stop me.

No comments: