Saturday, September 22, 2012

30 Mile Run?

My favorite day of training...weekend long run!

I just wrapped up a 10.8'er and things are feeling good. The plan was 10 miles but if you're like me and don't wear a watch or have a GPS then sometimes your runs aren't exactly spot on...today was that kind of day.

Armstrong was in for 5+ miles with me, so last night I mapped out what I thought was going to be that and then a solid 10 for me. But why go 5 when you can go 6.3? Or why go 10 when you can go 10.8? So my cartography skills are slightly off...never said I was a map expert, but I am full of surprises.

I fueled up with 1.5 whole wheat waffles with almond butter and my daddy's blackberry jam, 1/2 a banana and some G2 with a SaltStick tab...let me say though, that was .5 too many waffles. A bit too much in the tummy for the first few miles. Luckily things settled down because I was seeking out bushes along the way.

Instead of doing my usual water planting along the course we thought we would stop at Subway about 4 miles in for, as Armstrong testifies, has "the best water...they should bottle and sell that shit!" We get up to Subway and they are.....CLOSED...who needs a footlong at 7:59am? Nobody. Luckily the little Market next door was open and the nice kid working the register ran and got us each a cup of water. I told her we were going long today...30 miles, and needed that water. The look on her face was brilliant. The water shooting out of Becky's mouth was priceless...gotta keep these kids on their toes.

After GU'ing up and having a tiny glass of water at Armstrong's residence I ventured on to finish my 10 miler. Got home and did some big time stretching and foaming and then mapped the run, realizing that I'm an ass.

Refueled with some oatmeal with cinnamon & flax topped with greek yogurt, bananas, blueberries and almonds. Yummy town USA.

My left hip is a little crazy but nothing a foam roller, yoga, ice, heat, Advil and beer can't handle! A light yoga tomorrow and some rest sounds like a good Sunday..Oh, and a damn Lions WIN too please.

No comments: