Friday, September 7, 2012

It's Just snot right..

I gotta apologize in advance for where this one is gonna go..as the title states, it's just snot right..

So you know I am getting over a cold that snuck in on me Sunday. It went through the cycles, sore throat, headache, stuffy nose and now it's down in my lungs. Sweet. With CF that is what we always hope doesn't happen. Stay out of the lungs! Yesterday I saw my awesome CF Dr. and did a few pulmonary function tests...My FEV's were down a little 72/74; now remember this is way up from where I was before I started Blue Lightning. I peaked in the 80's and 90's, so being in the 70's is kind of a "high" for my old self. We can definitely blame that on this cold. Tom, my CF doc dude asked if I wanted anything to treat this situation  and I said " no thanks!" I think I can get rid of this one on my own...the antibiotics that they would give me cause tendon issues (achilles flashback anyone?) and with this training I cannot be bothered with that.

Luckily this cold is passing rather quickly and I say it's because of my juicing, eating right, drinking a ton of water and just running, cycling and yoga'ing per usual. Some like to rest when they are sick, I've done this before and it's alright but very boring. Rest is also a 4 letter word. So this time I went the route of telling myself that I am not sick. It seems to be working!

Today's training was a pretty laid back ride with Armstrong for an hour or so. I'm running a 7 miler in Suttons Bay tomorrow so I needed to spin a little bit but not too crazy. Tomorrow will be one hilly run so my legs need all the help the can get.

When I got home from the ride though I had a thought..Becky/Armstrong must think that I am absolutely disgusting! Not knowing me very long, I don't think she is aware of how nasty and snotty CF is. I must have blow a dozen snot rockets this morning (some verrrrry nice) and coughed & spit a ton too. Of course exercise brings out the best in me, my lungs and my sinuses...but not everyone is aware. If she was not aware before, she is now!

 I'm thinking I put a disclaimer out from now on for people who want to ride or run with me...

"Caution: thick and sticky objects may forcefully head your way during the ride/run. A face shield and strong stomach is recommended when exercising with a CF patient. Please do so at your own risk!"

Oh and I'm also off of Blue Lightning for a few days...the study finally wrapped up yesterday and we placed my first order with the CF Pharmacy but now I have to wait for it to arrive. Going out of town will not help the situation but I guess I just have to run my ass off to make up for no BL!

Will check in after the run!
Rock CF,
Emily

2 comments:

Somer Love said...

You got this!!!

what no pics of you snot rocketing out your nose... so sad ;)

Emily Schaller said...

I'll see what I can muster up for you tomorrow..no BL= petrified steak bits in these sinuses ;)